CRITICS HAVE SAID
- “Despite a raging snowstorm, Irene, a dressmaker’s daughter, offers to deliver the duchess’s newly finished ball gown. . . . With sure writing and well-composed, riveting art, Steig keeps readers with Irene every step of the long way.”— Booklist
- “One of Steig’s simplest stories [and] one of his best, a tale that has the force of a legend.” — The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books
- “William Steig’s Brave Irene has the timeless quality of a classic fairy tale.”
- — Publishers Weekly
IF YOU LOVE THIS BOOK, THEN TRY:
- Steig, William. The Amazing Bone. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1976.
- Steig, William. Doctor De Soto. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1982.
- Yolen, Jane. Owl Moon. Philomel Books, 1987.